Sunday 22 April 2012

Rationing

My friend Sara spent Easter in the States and she returned on Tuesday with some American goodies for me!  I had asked if she would mind getting me a few bits like baking soda (even though we have bicarbonate of soda here, in America it comes in big boxes!), chocolate chips, taco seasoning and my favourite indulgence - Twizzlers.


Now, don't be deceived - the pack may say "A Low fat candy", however for the first time I actually read the calorie content and there is a whopping 160 calories in 4 twists!  My friend bought me the BIG packet and in the past I could easily eat the WHOLE packet in one sitting!  So, desperate times call for desperate measures...  We have allocated Mondays and Fridays as "chocolate days" for our kids - this ensures that they are not eating chocolate all the time and that they get a treat twice a week.  I also know that they are sneaky little things and if I kept their little chocolate bars in the fridge - well, they'd be gone before I finish typing this sentence!  So - granddad comes to the rescue!  He hides the chocolate bars in his room and brings them out on Mondays and Fridays.  I had a lightbulb moment - if I separate the BIG pack into small ziplock bags of four Twizzlers each - give them to my father in law and ask him to bring out one bag on a Monday and one bag on a Friday, then I get my wonderful strawberry flavoured treat twice a week and even better, it lasts five weeks (instead of five minutes!).


So, now all I have to do is to remember to leave 160 calories allowance for my treats on Mondays and Fridays.

The Rhubarb Cornmeal Cake was a real hit at lunch today - we had it warm with custard - yum!  Sundays are always a bit of a struggle with my diet, so although I do watch what I eat, I invariably go over my 1200 calorie per day goal.  However, I do feel it is necessary to build in a 'break day' into your schedule - this ensures that you don't get burned out from eating little calories and also ensures that you have a day each week to look forward to.  It may slow my weight loss slightly, but compromise is necessary sometimes and I think it helps me from falling off the wagon.


No comments:

Post a Comment